Medical emergencies come in all forms.
When something happens to you or a family member, you’ll want the Emergency Department with the most qualified physicians and staff.
You’ll want the ER that offers advanced trauma care – the kind that can make a difference in a critical situation.
More patients choose McLaren Macomb in an emergency because it is the county’s only verified Trauma Center.
This means that trauma surgeons are in-house 24 hours a day, ready to handle emergency surgery and able to care for the most precious patients of all, pediatric cases.
It also means that the entire department has met the highest standards of emergency care set forth by the American College of Surgeons.
Here are some other reasons to make McLaren Macomb your first choice in an emergency:
- McLaren Macomb supports one of the busiest emergency centers in the area. It’s a state-of-the-art facility that handles approximately 64,000 patient visits each year.
- The entire staff has emergency expertise. All physicians are board-certified or board-eligible in Emergency Medicine. Nurses have had specialty training in advanced cardiac life support and in trauma nursing.
- Most patients are seen within 30 minutes of arrival. In fact, the average wait time is just 17 minutes.
- Cardiac emergencies are handled with rapid response times that beat the national standard. Emergency physicians collaborate with the hospital’s cardiac experts, as well as EMS responders, to make sure heart attack patients get life-saving treatment quickly. As a result, the team consistently exceeds the national average for “door-to-balloon” times (a measure of how quickly cardiac treatment is administered when a patient first comes to the hospital with heart attack symptoms). McLaren Macomb consistently achieves door-to-balloon times of less than 60 minutes, well under the national standard of 90 minutes.
- McLaren Macomb is an accredited Chest Pain Center. The hospital earned this three-year accreditation from the Society of Chest Pain Centers after a review of its comprehensive programs for heart patients and cardiac emergencies.
- Pediatric expertise: About 25 percent of all patients treated in the Emergency Department are children. The emergency team has the expertise to provide compassionate care for our youngest patients. If hospital admission is required, we have a board-certified pediatrician in-house 24/7.
- For patients with athletic or sports injuries, the emergency team can offer a referral (with an appointment within 24 to 48 hours) to the hospital’s Athletic Medicine Institute. This service, offered through Rehabilitation Services, focuses on individualized assessment, treatment rehabilitation, and injury prevention for athletes of all levels.